Monday, May 5, 2008

Music2Nite Highly Recommends - Lalah Hathaway


I just listened to an artist who is new to me, her name is Lalah Hathaway, and I must say that I'm very impressed by her, I truly recommend checking her out.





“I don’t necessarily want to fit into what’s happening now,” Lalah says of today’s marketplace, “but I want to stand with it, on my own thing. I would really love it if people need the record. I put a lot of myself into this album, so I hope people can hear me and understand who I am.”

“This album is like a movie of my life over the last couple of years,” she says. “The portrait I see of myself is of a very confident, smart woman who is extremely funny, independently wealthy and well-traveled – all things that I am to a small degree., she laughs. “Every day, I realize that I’m walking toward the woman I’m going to be. She’s there. I can see her. “

Leading the 12-song collection is “Let Go,” a dance-oriented, up-tempo number she produced with Rex Rideout and wrote alongside Rahsaan Patterson. And just as the title suggests, the song is about acknowledging and releasing whatever’s not working to make room for the next experience. “I’ve had to let go of quite a few things, quite a few situations and a couple of mindsets,” she admits about the origins of her first single. “Every so often, I have to remind myself to just let some stuff go – from people and relationships to an old pair of jeans.”

I really love the way she sees music and herself, and the fact that she combines both. Again I highly recommend her, make sure to listen to "Let Go"


LALAH HATHAWAY

"Self Portrait" in stores June 3