Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Dream That Failed

By Shubhodeep Pal
Dehradun, India




It was the day you said I'd see you smile.
I said you'd be mine for aeons after -
You almost smiled.
But you wanted to warp my whims
So you smiled with your eyes.

I waited beneath the silent sky
And saw countless seconds whir wearily by
And the sun turned black then scarlet and wild -
I must have been destiny's ill-fated child. 

The days grew thin and
Old; creepers haunted my nightless 
Eyes. You remained in my dreams… 

...And now I wait with bated zeal
For the apologies that my jaded humour
Will shred and hone. 

My moonlit burns glimmer
With passionless fragments of memory:

I know this story now.
This time my scars will be forged -
I stopped dreaming of you two dreamless winters ago.
Remember?
It was the day you waltzed my dreams away.